Information security documentation services for a federal client.
QinetiQ North America (QNA) is a contractor for Indian Health Service (IHS), the federal agency responsible for providing health care to 1.9 million Native Americans. QNA delivers information security services to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of IHS information resources in the agency's challenging health care environment. As lead technical writer, I directed all of QNA's documentation efforts for the agency from March 2009 until October 2011.
"The quality of his work is outstanding."
Role and Responsibilities
- Wrote, edited, and maintained all information security documentation for IHS. Deliverables included technical guides, security reports, whitepapers, system security plans, standard operating procedures, and user manuals.
- Developed and maintained templates and style guides for other technical writers working in the IHS Office of Information Technology.
- Served as a writing expert for senior IHS management officials. Created a memorandum that was signed by the IHS Director and sent to over 500 tribal leaders.
- Wrote detailed incident response reports to help IHS report information security incidents.
- Defined and improved processes and procedures. Worked with subject matter experts to create agency-wide business processes for requesting, approving, and granting VPN access.
- Created and maintained Certification and Accreditation (C&A) documentation for the entire agency. Edited nearly 1,000 pages of documentation for a system C&A.
- Created the IHS 3 Year Cyber Security Plan, a comprehensive document that identified all known information security threats to the agency and proposed initiatives to mitigate those threats within three years. The plan was regularly updated and provided to the IHS Director and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Chief Information Security Officer.
- Developed written content and computer based training for the annual IHS Information Systems Security Awareness (ISSA) training program. Coordinated with subject matter experts to identify requirements, communicate changes to the web team, and managed the software development process for the ISSA system to improve the overall quality and effectiveness of the training.